Why do, a small – percentage of those, who, either, are elected, selected, and/ or, ascend to positions of leadership, actually, become, true, meaningful, relevant, effective leaders? How might this relate to, and account – for, the apparent, dearth od genuine leading, and, the large number of formerly – significant organizations, lose their luster, relevance, and sustainability? After, my, over four decades, of involvement, in nearly all aspects related to this, from identifying and qualifying, to training, developing and consulting to, over thousands of actual, and/ or potential leaders, to serving as a leader, on several occasions, I have come to believe, it takes a variety of steps, and actions, to creating someone, who will go – on, to becoming a better leader! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 7 key steps to being a better, more significant leader.
1. Giving yourself, a check – up, from the neck – up: Why do you really, want to lead, this specific organizations? Why do you believe, you are uniquely, qualified, and capable, of leading, more effectively, and efficiently, than others? Do you truly, possess, the commitment, and discipline, to persist, when others, may, give – up? What do you, really, like about yourself, and what are you, perhaps, not, so – thrilled, about? How might you react, and/ or, behave, during certain circumstances, and why? Will you be the right person, to make a positive change, for the better?
2. Identify personal strengths, and weaknesses: Are your personal strengths, those, which might make this specific group, better, and why? Will you be able to effectively, use areas of strength, while addressing any weakness, and making a quality difference?
3. Be prepared!: If every leader, took, the Boy Scout, slogan, Be prepared, seriously, and did so, consistently, organizations would benefit! Since there is no such thing, as a born – leader, doesn’t it make sense, for groups, to take their training, more seriously, and make doing so, a top priority?
4. Know/ understand leadership: The more one knows, and understands, the greater his potential! Even, the finest training program, won’t have its maximum results, unless/ until, those trainees, take the process, seriously, and learn/ discover/ understand, the essentials, of being, the best, one might be!
5. Expand comfort zone: One of the essentials, must be, to be ready, willing, and able, to expand the limitations of one’s comfort zone, and strive for excellence, instead of settling for good – enough! Only, then, does the danger, of procrastinating, become, less challenging, etc!
6. Know specific group: Every group, has, its own heritage, history, demographics, needs, goals, and priorities, and to effectively, lead, it is important to understand, and know, the specific niche, and nuances, of that organization!
7. Strategic and Action Plan: It’s very important to know, appreciate, and understand the essentials of strategic, and action planning. Although, many claim, they do so, few actually are willing to proceed, thoroughly, and in a meaningful manner! The strategic planning process, must look at both, strengths, and weaknesses, as well as goals, priorities, needs, mission, demographics, and the vital, vibrant vision, to identify the best way, to proceed, forward! An action plan, must, create, a Plan A, and, B (often, also, C, D, etc), including, ways to evaluate, table of responsibility, time – line, etc, and a systematic way, to evaluate progress, and tweak, if necessary/ indicated!
Do you really, want to be a better leader? Will you commit to the entire process, with consistency, motivation, and discipline?
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe