If, you want to become a true leader, it’s never – enough, to simply hold some position, and/ or, seek to implement your personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest! Rather, real leaders realize, they need to attract followers and supporters, if they are to make a difference, for the better! After, over four decades, of involvement, in nearly, everything related to effectively, leading, I have come to believe, strongly, one of the key reasons, we witness, such an apparent dearth, in genuine, meaningful leadership, is organization’s lack of consistently, conducting, professionally – designed, leadership training programs, so their potential leaders, are more capable, prepared, and willing, to do, what’s needed, and necessary, to attract others to follow, based on the combination of the group’s mission, and the particular leader’s ability to attract others, towards greater commitment, and meaningful teamwork, for the greater good! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 6 necessities for leaders, to consistently, attract actual, and/ or, potential followers!
1. Earn the trust – genuine, absolute integrity: Holding, any position, won’t usually, gain anyone else’s trust, etc! One must proceed, in a way, which earns and maintains constituent’s trust! To do so, requires proceeding, with absolute, genuine integrity, instead of selectively, doing so!
2. Consistent: Perhaps, one of the most important assets, for any leader, is proceeding, with consistent behavior, which others, perceive, in a positive manner, and attracts them, to be more willing to pay more attention, and, proceed, with a greater degree of commitment!
3. Positive, can – do attitude: Most prefer to follow someone, who proceeds, consistently, with a positive, can – do, attitude, and focuses on ways, to succeed, and achieve, rather than focusing on all the reasons, failure may win – out!
4. Well – developed aptitude and skill – set: There is no – such thing, as a born leader, so, if one wishes to become, the best one, possible, he must effectively, develop his relevant aptitude, and meaningful, skill – set! Only, when this training, is thorough, and meaningful, does it provide the level of related skills, which, may make a difference, for the better!
5. Personal desire to serve: If, one wishes, to be successful, and effective, he must have personally, meaningful reasons, for wanting to serve and represent others, by holding a specific position! Without this, inner – fire, how can one attract others, to follow him?
6. Unifying, not polarizing: While some populist leaders, articulate a polarizing, divisive message, which attracts, some followers, this approach, never provides a unifying approach, which brings people together, attempting to seek, a meeting – of – the – minds, for the common good!
How can one lead, unless/ until, others want to follow? Will you proceed, in a manner, which attracts others, to become more involved, and committed, and emphasizes, both, relevant concerns, with sustainable realities?
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe