Although, there are probably, many reasons, politicians are held, in such, low – esteem, perhaps, the most important one, is, the excessive degree of hypocrisy, is, not only, disturbing, but, for many, seems concerning, and, even, revolting! Although, this behavior, is nothing, new, it seems to have become, far more extreme, in recent times! The excessive degree of polarization, in this nation, and the seeming, unwillingness, and/ or, inability to seek a meeting – of – the – minds, for the greater good, combined with the extreme, partisan politics, and what appears, to be, too many, who, consistently, seem to put their personal/ political agenda, ahead of the best interests of the nation, and our citizens, is, a form of inherently, dangerous, excessive political hypocrisy. With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 specific examples, we, often, witness.
1. Budget/ deficits/ spending: Isn’t it hypocritical, for the same politicians, who approved, and supported, a so – called, tax reform, in 2017, which, instead of favoring the middle – class (as was the promise, when originally, presented), did the most benefit, for the wealthiest Americans, and largest corporations? That act, alone, created, approximately, a trillion dollars, deficit, but, the Republicans, who supported this, never brought this up, then! When, the pandemic created a set of economic/ financial conditions, where significant stimulus, was needed, they had no issue, with potential deficits! However, now, when the Democrats control the Presidency, and, by small margins, both Houses of Congress, they are using the dangers of deficit spending, to justify, their objections, to the proposals, made by President Biden.
2. Political vitriol/ rhetoric: In recent memory, few recall, anyone, who resorted to, and abused, using political vitriol, and unsubstantiated rhetoric, to the degree of Donald Trump. Even, after, polls indicate, a significant majority of Americans, hold, the former President, at least, partly – responsible, for the insurrection, at the Capitol, on January 6, 2021, very few Republicans, are willing, to put, protecting our freedoms, and the nation’s best – interests, ahead of their perceived, personal/ political agendas, and/ or, self – interests!
3. Policy versus politics/ voting rights: Shouldn’t we protect, every eligible American’s right, to vote, freely, in our elections? Don’t people, deserve, to have this right, honored, consistently, and, as conveniently, as possible? When, former President Trump, continued articulating, unsubstantiated rhetoric/ vitriol, about phony elections, and voting irregularities, the Courts, and other investigations, consistently, stated, they were inaccurate! Now, we are witnessing, a concerted effort, to create additional hurdles, to voting, because, it seems, many of these Republicans, believe, they benefit, when, fewer people vote!
4. Common good, versus, personal/ political agenda: Shouldn’t our elected officials, serve and represent our, and the country’s best interests, rather than, focusing on their personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interests? How hypocritical are, some of these people, who claim, to be representing their constituents, when, on many issues, from health care, to economic stimulus, to sane gun measures, etc, clearly, indicate, they are not focused, on that, or the common good!
5. Health care/ Medical insurance/ Public health: The evidence, seems to be accumulating, clearly, indicating, many of the measures, Trump, either took, or failed to address, created even worse ramifications, of this horrific pandemic! Although, it is obvious, and polls state, most people, would benefit, from better, less expensive, medical insurance, prescription drug costs, and overall health care, as well as, improving, overall, public health issues/ measures/ policies, many members of the former President’s party, seemed to blindly, support him, regardless of the evidence, etc!
Even, after the Capitol insurrection, many Republicans, continue, refusing to refute any of the actions, statements, behaviors, etc, of the former President, and, even, indicating, their continued support to him, and his approach! If this is not hypocrisy, what is?
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe